Backpacks on Prison

Discussion in 'Prison Server' started by Stitchie, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

Hey i'm just making this thread to explain what backpacks really do on prison, what advantage they give you and how many you really need because some people say stupid stuff.

What Backpacks do:
    Whenever you mine blocks in a mine, the blocks you mined will first go to your backpacks instead of your inventory. The way backpacks fill up is, the backpacks that are located in your hotbar will fill up first left to right and then left to right, top to bottom accordingly in the rest of your inventory. (Putting the backpacks in your hotbar might improve performance a bit).

The advantage backpacks give is, they catch up the blocks that would otherwise overflow out of your inventory and vanish. This is mostly the case on enchants that destroy a lot of blocks at the same time: Blockbuster, Sphere 2, Zap 2 etc. The problem is that autosell only triggers when A) your inventory is completly full and B) when you manually trigger it by handmining a block (in most cases after the enchant already broke the blocks).
    Long story short, in most cases you will end up triggering Sphere 2 just so it will fill up the 3 free slots in your inventory that you have left and all the other blocks that don't fit in your inventory will just vanish.

Note that Autosell gets triggered whenever your inventory is full and not your backpacks.
    You can have 10 backpacks in your inventory that are all empty, but it will still autosell if your inventory is full.
    (You should have atleast 9 free slots in your inventory to avoid bugs when mining)

Actual Advantages:
    Note that the direct advantage you get from backpacks is always relative to your current pickaxe and mine.
    Pickaxes with a low fortune level (<20) achieve close to no relevant advantage from backpacks.
    Mines with a low percentage of ore blocks will significantly reduce the advantage from backpacks.

Comparison

Pickaxe: Maxed Tungsten (Fortune 40)

2 Minutes mining - Dragon Mine

0 Large Backpacks: 9b
    2 Large Backpacks: 13b
    4 Large Backpacks: 13b
    10 Large Backpacks: 13b

2 Minutes mining - Villager Mine

0 Large Backpacks: 1.2b
    2 Large Backpacks: 2.4b
    4 Large Backpacks: 2.7b
    10 Large Backpacks: 3.1b

Dragon Mine: (Best Case)

0 BPs -> 2 BPs (+45%)
    2 BPs -> 4 BPs (+0%)
    4 BPs -> 10 BPs (+0%)

0BPs -> 10BPs (+45%)

Villager Mine: (Worst Case)

0BPs -> 2BPs (+100%)
    2BPs -> 4BPs (+12.5%)
    4BPs -> 10BPs (+15%)

0BPs -> 10BPs (+158%)
    Based on this comparison you can see that when you have 10 Large Backpacks, in the worst case scenario right now on prison, you will make about 158% more money compared to having no backpacks at all.
    However this number is only for statistical purposes since Villager mine is indeed the only mine where its this broken due to a heavy amount of lapis ore blocks. The actual advantage is much closer to the best case which is the dragon mine, since it has 100% blocks and 0% ores in it.
    The majority of mines have 80% blocks and about 20% ores in them.
    So the realistic advantage you can expect (with a maxed tungsten) is about 60% more money/blocks if you own 2+ large backpacks. If you don't have a tungsten pickaxe (yet alone maxed) the backpack advantage will significantly reduce also. As mentioned earlier, fortune plays a big roll.

Conclusion:
    The average advantage you can expect from backpacks is a 50% (1.5x) increase in money, if you have a good pickaxe.
    Also having as the statistic shows, you gain almost no advantage from backpacks after your first 2 large backpacks. IF you want to seriously play in prison i would thus advise you to buy 2 large backpacks (or otherwise obtain them if you can). Having more not only gives you close to no extra advantage, but having more backpacks in your inventory will also slightly increase the lag while mining, what in some cases might make it even slightly worse to mine with a lot of backpacks or atleast removes the small advantage you would get from owning more than 2.

Extra Notes:
    Having A LOT of backpacks (>15 Large Backpacks) CAN still make you more money in other ways. For once, this is the amount of backpacks you approx. need if you want to catch all the blocks in that blockbuster will mine for you, which would otherwise just overflow. Since Blockbuster only triggers like every 5 minutes this is mostly irrelevant.
    Another valid strategy however is to use jolly ranchers more efficiently by first filling all your backpacks and then using a jolly rancher, in order to indirectly increase the duration of the jolly rancher. With enough backpacks you can achieve one initial sell and 2 more in the duration of the jolly rancher, This is the ONLY relevant reason to own more than like 4 large backpacks. If you don't plan to buy 30 stacks jollies with your purchase of 20 large backpacks, there is absolutely no point in buying more than 4. After 4 large backpacks you will 100% not gain any advantage from having more.
    Also if you buy a small diamond plotmine and 2 large backpacks, you have literally everything you need for the whole season.
    Large Backpacks have a space of 54 inventory slots also.
    There is absolutely no point in buying small or medium sized backpacks.
    If you can afford 2 Large Backpacks, ure good to go.

2. CurryOverMJ

CurryOverMJ Popular

didn't people know that you only needed 2-3 backpacks for a while now (since like the beginning of s4) or just me

3. CJGangsta

Deity SkyLord Phantom Supreme Paladin Captain

4. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

I believe a lot of people still believed that 23 backpacks would give you a major advantage.
    I saw atleast a few people that bought a tons of backpacks on s4 and i doubt they would waste that much money for no reason, when theres clearly a better way to invest your money after you bought like 4.

5. Moonliite

Moonliite Administrator
    Administrator

Thanks for the informative post, stickied!

6. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

xd lol

7. xRevival

Deity Emperor SkyLord Paladin

i thought people already knew this LOL

8. oHippo

oHippo Retired Community Manager
    SkyLord Paladin

Wow. That's a lot of information. How long did it take you to collect that data?

9. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

Idk 30 minutes lul
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 19, 2019, Original Post Date: Feb 19, 2019 ---
    Well knew what specifically? I don't think anyone has done a direct comparison yet on how big the advantage actually is.
    I didn't even know about half the things i wrote here before i specifically tested them lmao

10. xRevival

eh i thought many people would already know what backbacks do and what most enchants do lol, it took me 2 days to figure out the system and get ez p10 in a few days

11. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

smh you grinded 10 hours a day
    Sure if you just bought backpacks because people told you they are good you will figure it out but i'd figure other people like to know what advantage they give before paying 20 bucks to buy some of them. To my knowledge most people didn't realise that 2 are enough so i made this post.

12. xRevival

actually i only mined for like 6 hours a day lol i got money from my minions also i got every single one of my back packs for free and why make this post now when the server is beyond over-kill lol

13. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

What do you mean minions? And how did you get all your backpacks for free, trading?
    Also don't question this post smh. Prison will reset soon so noobs will join scrub

14. xRevival

i traded 1 backpack for money to p something and i got all my back packs from kids for arccash. lol like 1$=2 large

15. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

someone traded you 2 large backpacks for $1 arccash ??????? do they not realize its disabled lmao
    anyway do you plan on playing prison again ?

16. xRevival

LOL NO, archon all the way

17. Stitchie

Deity Sensei Paladin

ew, skyblock or prison on archon? (if there is prison idk)
    i joined there and i don't see why people play there except for is top rewards
    i bet 80% of their playerbase is alts too.. i saw someone with 20 alts on tab.

18. xRevival

skyblock lol,

compare the 2 servers doe lol 1 dead 1 alive